Skip to main content
You are the owner of this article.
You have permission to edit this article.
Washington County deputy killed in fight with drug suspect at jail

Washington County deputy killed in fight with drug suspect at jail

  • Updated
  • 0

Update (10 a.m. Friday): Deputy Kyle Davis was identified as the individual who died in a fight at the jail.

Davis started working for the Washington County Sheriff's Office in January 2008 as a jailer/dispatcher and was promoted to deputy sheriff in 2010, serving as a field deputy and transport/courthouse security deputy. Davis had been assigned as the detention center's dayshift supervisor.

"Deputy Davis is a graduate of Copan High School and was an avid hunter and loved to fish. Deputy Davis had a heart of gold and could always bring a smile to your face! Deputy Davis leaves behind a wife, 2 children, and a host of family which includes his law enforcement family," the agency said in a statement.

A Washington County sheriff’s deputy was killed in the line of duty Thursday when an “uncooperative and aggressive” suspect fought with jail staff, the Sheriff’s Office announced in a press release.

The inmate was one of 17 people who had been arrested Thursday morning by the Bartlesville Police Department and the Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs Control, the press release says.

The two agencies had been working together for the past few months on an “extensive investigation into controlled substances,” which led to the arrest warrants being served Thursday morning.

One of the arrested people became uncooperative and aggressive toward jail staff upon being brought to the Washington County Detention Center in Bartlesville, the press release says. A physical altercation ensued, and a jail employee who is a Washington County deputy was injured.

The deputy was taken to a Bartlesville hospital, but “resuscitation efforts were not successful,” according to the press release.

The deputy’s name was not released Thursday night.

The arrested person, whose name also had not been released, was initially arrested for “endeavoring to manufacture a controlled dangerous substance,” and bail was to be set at $175,000, according to the press release.

The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation has been asked to lead the investigation into the deputy’s death, and the District Attorney’s Office and Bartlesville Police Department are working on the ongoing investigation.

Sign up for our Crime & Courts newsletter

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Most Popular

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


Breaking News