About the Tulsa World
The first issue of the Tulsa Daily World appeared on the afternoon of Sept. 14, 1905. The banner across the top of the front page declared: "Tulsa, Chosen Home of Prosperity and Opportunity, is a Busy City in a Busy Universe." The paper cost 5 cents per copy.
The Tulsa World was owned by the Lorton family from 1917 to 2013. Three generations served as publishers of the paper during that time: Eugene Lorton, Maud Lorton, Robert E. Lorton and Robert E. Lorton III. It was owned by BH Media Group from 2013 to 2020, when Lee Enterprises Inc. purchased the newspaper. The Tulsa World has been Tulsa's only daily newspaper since the afternoon daily, the Tulsa Tribune, closed in 1992. The World is the second-largest newspaper in Oklahoma.
Located at 315 S. Boulder Ave., the nine-story building extends through the block to Main Street and covers the entire area between Third and Fourth streets. An entrance on the east side is located on Main Street.
The Tulsa World was the first newspaper in North America to install the state-of-the-art shaftless Wifag presses, capable of churning out 70,000 copies an hour. It also was the first major newspaper to switch to digital photography.